The Application Essentials module covers the main concepts and skills needed to start using common office productivity applications — documents, spreadsheets, and presentations — effectively.
Creating a document, updating financial data, presenting some key information to colleagues or customers — these are day-to-day tasks in many job roles. In order to carry out these tasks effectively, you need to have a solid basis of skills in using the key technologies that support them.
This module is suitable for a wide range of candidates who want to be able to use Document, spreadsheet and presentation applications effectively. These skills are essential not only to carry out specific tasks but also as a starting point for developing more in-depth competences in using these important office productivity applications, which are now ubiquitous in workplaces globally.
Develop essential skills to use workplace applications effectively.
|Office productivity applications|
|Word processing|| |
Main learning outcomes
Successful candidates will be able to use computer applications effectively. After passing this module, candidates will feel confident using important office productivity applications, to perform everyday workplace tasks. They will be able to:
- understand the purpose of different common office productivity applications and carry out common tasks
- work with text in a document, insert and edit objects and tables, and prepare and print outputs
- work with numbers and text in a spreadsheet, manipulate spreadsheet data, use formulas, insert charts, and prepare and print outputs
- build a presentation, insert and format text in slides, insert and edit objects and effects, and create outputs including a slideshow.
Why certify with ICDL?
- ICDL certification is internationally recognised by employers and institutions.
- ICDL modules are developed with input from computer users, subject matter experts, and practising professionals from all over the world.
- The regularly updated syllabus content reflects day-to-day tasks and responsibilities typical of job roles.
- ICDL modules focus on skills acquisition as well as an understanding of concepts.
- ICDL syllabus content is vendor-independent so that skills and knowledge are transferable.
- ICDL has rigorous Quality Assurance Standards (QAS) and regular quality audits are conducted internally and externally.
The detailed syllabus for the Application Essentials module is publicly available, so that there is complete clarity about what is covered.
The syllabus document, which sets out the specific skills and knowledge that you will learn and against which you will be certified, can be downloaded here.
Offer ICDL in your organisation
You can use ICDL as a training centre, a school or college, or for your own staff within your organisation.
To offer ICDL certification, you should contact the local ICDL operator in your territory.
You can find contact details for all ICDL operators on our ‘ICDL in your territoty‘ page.
Find an ICDL course near you
Certifying your digital skills with ICDL is simple:
- Assess your existing skills with a Diagnostic Test
- Build your skills during a course or through learning in your own time
- Certify your skills and earn an ICDL certificate
ICDL Diagnostic Tests, Certification Tests, and courses are available through a network of test centres around Asia.
To get started, find an ICDL Accredited Test Centre near you