The Digital Citizen programme outlines the basic skills needed to use a computer and the Internet. This specially designed module teaches candidates how to complete everyday tasks in a confident way.
Digital Citizen is designed for complete beginners and is open to everyone regardless of status, education, age or ability. There are many people who have never used a computer but are aware of the Internet and its possible uses. If you would like to know more about computers and the Internet but feel learning these new skills is too complicated, then the Digital Citizen programme is for you.
Digital Citizen is designed to be the first step for candidates to engage with the digital world. Candidates who successfully pass the Digital Citizen programme, may wish to continue their learning, by registering for the Digital Citizen Plus programme and the ICDL Workforce Modules.
Develop the basic skills needed to use a computer and the internet to complete everyday tasks
|Introduction to the desktop||
|Introduction to documents||
|Introduction to the web||
Main learning outcomes
Candidates who complete the Digital Citizen programme will gain the skills needed in order
to progress onto Digital Citizen Plus, the ICDL Workforce modules and beyond. They will be able to:
- understand how to start up and shut down a computer
- understand how to navigate the Desktop and how to store files
- understand how to create, save and edit a document
- understand how to use search engines, use online services and evaluate online information
- Communicate online via email and instant messaging
Why certify with ICDL?
- ICDL is the global leader in digital literacy learning and certification
- ICDL Programmes offer clear progression routes for candidates
- The regularly updated syllabus content reflects day-to-day tasks and responsibilities typical of job roles.
- ICDL modules focus on skills acquisition as well as an understanding of concepts
- ICDL syllabus content is vendor-independent so that skills and knowledge are transferable
Offer ICDL in your organisation
You can use ICDL as a training centre, a school or college, or for your own staff within your organisation.
To offer ICDL certification, you should contact the local ICDL operator in your country.
You can find contact details for all ICDL operators on our ‘ICDL in your country‘ page.
Find an ICDL course near you
Certifying your digital skills with ICDL is simple:
- Assess your existing skills with a Diagnostic Test
- Build your skills during a course or through learning in your own time
- Certify your skills and earn an ICDL certificate
ICDL Diagnostic Tests, Certification Tests, and courses are available through a network of test centres around Europe.
To get started, find an ICDL Accredited Test Centre near you